Wednesday, March 1, 2017

KoW - Lute of Insatiable Darkness


"I Have A Use For You"

Unlike the plans of James Delaney, the utility of the new Magic Artefact, the Lute of Insatiable Darkness is pretty straightforward. For 20 points you get the ability to provide one of your Heroes with the Bane Chant (2) spell.

In 99% of armies (I'm a chronic underestimator), this item will be plonked onto the Hero providing the role of Army Standard Bearer. Previously, the ASB would have been naked or for those people who had to give him something - carrying the War Bow. However with the Lute he now has a worthwhile second line of business to Inspiring the troops. So ubiquitous is this item likely to be, rather than saying a "2000 point army", people might as well say "1980 points plus the Lute".

So why is it so good? Apart from the obvious addition of providing some armies access to otherwise off-limits Bane Chant, it helps those that do already have Bane Chant added flexibility. You will see Magic Users who have Bane Chant, taking a second spell.

For instance, in my Herd I have a Shaman with Bane Chant. Previously I was reluctant to take a second spell as there were very few turns when I did not need to use the option of adding Crushing Strength to a combat. However, now I can take the Heal Spell knowing I have potential not to need to cast Bane Chant.

In practice, the first spell I cast will be Bane Chant courtesy of the Lute. Where it is required for Piercing it has only a 25% chance of success (two 4+ results). However for Crushing Strength, it will likely be successful 75% of the time (one 4+ result) - this second case is one that I can plan around. Given success, I now have the opportunity with my Shaman to add Crushing Strength to another combat (with 87% chance of success) or instead use the Heal spell to recover on average 2.5 wounds.

The Lute, for 20 points, is just too good to leave at home.

12 comments:

  1. It's so good, in fact, that it's unlikely to survive the next annual update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit of an issue with the update really - removing some "no-brainer" options but then adding a bunch of other new "no-brainer" options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it seems like from an outsiders pov.

      Delete
  3. Nah it's not unanimous that it's a no-brainer on the KoW FB group

    You T9A guys take your fake concern elsewhere 😏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some armies already have plenty of CS or sources of bane chant so won't need it at all. For ogres, who don't have access to banechant at all in their list, it's a pretty cool option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ensnorkled armour is only auto-include if you're fielding a De5 Hero(Mon). Still got squashed.

    I think the banner bearer with lute will be pretty ubiquitous for lots of armies. I think it'll also crowd out sparkstone, because they're both obvious banner bearer items, but banechant will almost always be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rallying (1) banner will likely be popular

      Delete
  6. what they should do is make them "army standard bearer" only items, so they magic banners can play a part in the game and also restrict said 20 point items being spammed on whatever heros that doesnt already have an item.
    Personally i usually avoid taking a standard and opt instead for a hero magic user that doesn't normally have inspiring and giving him the Talisman of Inspiration, filling two roles for only 20 points extra.
    Making "magic Banners" would allow standards to be more battle field worthy and also open up conversion modelling opportunities for those inclined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep a lot of people will go two magic users but when points are tight I see this as a good option

      Delete
  7. So they squashed ensorcelled armour, and then add an item that would have been a good counter to it? Seems dumb to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understand your point but I'm not sure the BC(2) item was a counter for Ensorcelled Armour which is usually on highly mobile characters that can pick their battles.

      Delete
  8. I think the issue with it is that they seem to have costed it without considering the 'magic user tax'. This is only 5 points more than a magic user would spend to upgrade it, and magic users tend to cost more. I suppose they have done similar for heal, LB etc, but somehow this seems too good. 30-40pts sounds more reasonable (i'd probably still take it). But then who knows - maybe the new nerfed bane chant is much worse than it seems? Or maybe they're purposefully trying to shift the meta against high defence things?

    ReplyDelete